The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

Checking in With Chavez

Exclusive Interview with Ms. Chavez

Ms. Chavez, soon to be a Mrs., graduated from UTSA with her Bachelors in English. This is her first year teaching English here at Rockport, but it’s her 4th year teaching in total, as she taught at Somerset High School in San Antonio prior. She chose to be a teacher because she feels she’s always been good at it.

“[I think] working with kids is my favorite part,” she said. “That, and building relationships. It’s just something I’ve always been good at.”

She’s had a passion for teaching since high school, while volunteering at local elementary schools. She worked at the DoSeum, an interactive and hands-on experience and museum for children right after college building literacy programs for kids 5-12 and organizing authors’ visits and involving parents. This was cut short, however, when COVID hit; the DoSeum closed down for a bit, which was the final push for Ms. Chavez’s passion in teaching to bring her to teach.  She says she enjoys teaching high school because she feels she can easily have in-depth conversations about literature.

Her dream job is teaching, but she did dabble in acting. She loves Shakira and Ariana Grande and also is very skilled in playing the ukulele. Her favorite shows are the “Harry Potter Series”, “Witcher”, “The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia” (which her sister stars in on Netflix) and she recently started “Ozark”. She loves Pokemon and her favorites are the Eeveelutions. She also loves romance novels.

She was in band and cheer in college and high school. She made it to state playing sax and was drum major her junior and senior year. She was the first female tenor sax player in the UTSA Marching Band.

If she was to give any advice it would be to go for it.

“I recommend go for it. Because you never wanna look back and think, ‘What if I would’ve done that?'”

“If it doesn’t work out then you can move on and that gives you closure.”