The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

The Timeless Tradition: Unraveling the Rich History of Thanksgiving

Families all around the country look forward to Thanksgiving Day with great anticipation as the aroma of roasting turkey and freshly baked pies fills the air. This well-liked occasion, which falls on the 4th Thursday of November, has a lengthy and varied history that goes back hundreds of years. Together, let’s take a historical tour to discover the beginnings and development of this beloved American custom.

Native Americans and Pilgrims: The Origins of Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving’s origins can be found in the early 1700s, when a party of English pilgrims named the Mayflower sailed across the Atlantic in search of religious freedom. They touched down at what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1620. The Pilgrims suffered greatly throughout the hard winter, with many of them dying. However, the Pilgrims were able to plant a successful harvest in 1621 thanks to the assistance of Squanto, a Native American who taught them vital agricultural skills.

The Wampanoag Native Americans and the Pilgrims celebrated what is commonly considered to be the first Thanksgiving feast, together thanks to their abundant crop. Thanksgiving festivities as we know them now were founded on the cooperative and appreciative spirit embodied by this gathering, even though the precise menu is still up for debate.

Thanksgiving Becomes an Annual Tradition

The early Thanksgiving feasts were not yearly gatherings, but similar festivities were held all over colonial America. Thanksgiving did not become a regular holiday until the 19th century. President Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, with the intention of bringing the country together and encouraging thankfulness in hard times.

Customs and Contemporary Festivities

Thanksgiving has changed over time to become a multicultural and inclusive holiday that honors many culinary traditions. Even though the traditional roasted turkey is still the main course, families all over the nation add their own special touches to the table by including regional specialties and heirloom recipes.

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City is the most well-known parade, and it has grown to be an essential component of the Thanksgiving holiday ritual. The parade, which enthralls millions of spectators worldwide with its enormous balloons, marching bands, and celebrity appearances, adds to the festive spirit of the day.

Modern Thanksgiving: A Time to Give Thanks and Give Back

Thanksgiving has evolved from a celebration of a large feast with family and friends to much more in the modern era. It’s a day for introspection, thankfulness, and community service. A lot of people emphasize the value of compassion and charity by volunteering at food banks, shelters, and philanthropic organizations in their communities.

This Thanksgiving, when we assemble around our tables, let’s keep in mind the historical context of this beloved occasion. Thanksgiving continues to bring people together from all walks of life, reminding us of the value of compassion, solidarity, and the comfort that comes with shared customs—from the Pilgrims and Native Americans enjoying a feast together in the 17th century to the many festivities of today.