The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

Fentanyl Epidemic

Greg Abbott taking action on individuals affected by fentanyl
Fentanyl Epidemic

Fentanyl epidemic is a growing crisis in the United States. Over 150 people die a day from a fentanyl overdose. It’s over 50 times stronger than heroin and 100 times stronger than morphine. Just 2 milligrams , equal to 10 to 15 grains of table salt, is consider a lethal dose. However, most cases related to fentanyl-related overdose are linked to illegally made fentanyl, which is distributed through illegal drug markets. It is often added to other drugs because its extreme potency, which makes drugs cheaper, more powerful, more addictive, and more dangerous.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott addressing more than 200 fentanyl advocates, families, community members and other state and local official, Abbott thanked everyone at the Soles for Souls Fentanyl Awareness Walk for their work to save more lives from being lost to this deadly drug. The Governor also urged Texans to educate themselves as well as their familiar, loved ones, and peers about the dangers of fentanyl overdoses.

Governor Abbott has taken significant actions to address the growing fentanyl crisis and taking action by launching that statewide comprehensive “One Pill Kills” public awareness campaign. The campaign has raised attention not just in Texas but nationwide. Greg Abbott hosted the One Pill Kills with law enforcement, education leaders, healthcare professionals, and other fentanyl advocates to have meaningful conversations about how Texas can raise awareness of this deadly crisis that is taking over out country. Abbott passed a new law to help fight this crisis Texans are dealing with in todays society.

Tucker’s Law was named after Tucker Roe, a 19-year-old from Leander, Texas, who died in 2021. Police said he bought what he thought was the painkiller, Percocet, off Instagram. That pill was believed to have been laced with fentanyl, taking his life. School districts in the area are applying the law that bears his name. Our Governor passed on August 17, 2021, a new law named “Tucker’s Law” and he said “I am honored that Tucker’s Law is officially a law starting today that will provide education and resources to our students and parents across the state,” said TXAF Founder Turner. “While Tucker’s Law is named in honor of my son, it isn’t for my son. It’s for every living son and daughter across Texas. Thank you, Governor Abbott, for recognizing this massive problem and for trailblazing across the state.”

“Fentanyl is a clandestine killer, and younger Texans, like me, are especially vulnerable,” said student advocate Mitchell. “Many students have never even heard about fentanyl or its deadly effects. There is a critical need to increase awareness and expand education on the dangers of fentanyl in our schools. Over 5.4 million Texas public school students depend on it. Thanks to Governor Abbott and members of the legislature, Texas is fixing that today.” Greg Abbott hears from all the families and people who have lost someone due to fentanyl poisoning. He has visited families that have been affected by this deadly epidemic that our nation is struggling with.

If you or anyone you know struggles with addiction or suicidal thoughts, contact 1-800-662-4357. Know that you are not alone and you are loved.

This epidemic has also affect our community, we lost a student named Anjelina Travis on August 9, 2022. She was 17 years old and had dreams to pursue culinary arts. She lit up every room she walked in and would be there for you at anytime of the day. She loved her family and always found ways to show how much she cared them. My cousin was beautiful inside and out, she was nice anyone no matter who they were. This world isn’t the same without her being with us.

In Loving Memory, Anjelina Marie Travis <3

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Anchor

Your donation will support the student journalists of Rockport-Fulton High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.