The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

Seniors’ Last Soccer Season

Ian Kutach
RFHS Varsity Girls Soccer Team

The soccer season has kick started, and so far the season has proven to be more than rewarding, especially for seniors and varsity players Amrynn Shorter and Alondra Maite. They placed 2nd in their recent tournament, and in today’s game in Ingleside, they plan to bring the hardworking energy they’ve demonstrated so far and more.

The girls are excited and hopeful for the upcoming season, this being Amrynn’s fourteenth year and Alondra’s second. Considering it’s both of their last years playing, they have a lot of expectations.

“I think it’s bittersweet, like it’s fun but it’s sad that it’s gonna end,” said Alondra.

“I don’t think it really has hit me that this is my last year,” Amrynn said.

Both of the girls definitely value the family feel of the team, something that they’re going to miss when they graduate. They hope for the team to continue being so welcoming and inclusive.  “I hope they can rebuild what we had previously and keep those same connections and the closeness that we have. I’ve heard other sports look at our sports and are jealous of how close our soccer team is, so I’m glad that we can show that,” says Amrynn.

Amrynn is currently playing center back and occasionally left field, while Alondra plays left and right back. While they love playing soccer, there is definitely certain things that take a toll on them. “The running and conditioning is a lot, along with the losing,” said Alondra.

With this being their last year, the girls have some advice for the new team after they graduate. “I would say don’t be afraid to go against what everyone else is saying and doing,” said Amrynn. “Confidence is key, just make sure to be confident and put your all onto the field,” Alondra added.