The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

If Walls Could Talk

As she walks into class, she hears students talking about the latest and craziest gossip. “Surely, this can’t be true,” she thinks to herself.

Some classrooms are loud and crowded and, depending on who you sit by, you might just catch a glimpse of the ridicule and gossip that is spread. From bullying to rumors, schools around the world are affected each day. The words travel from one class to another, to phones, and then around the rest of the school and community.

Gossiping is not only unnecessary, but also harmful; it can really affect the victim. “Gossip can really mess with someone’s mental health.” Alejandra Rojas, Senior, said.

Another senior, Angelina Molina, added, “It can also make people act out.”

There is also an effect on any school as a whole when gossip is spread. Some schools aren’t as proactive as ours.  “If there’s no handle on the situation, it can damage the school’s image.” Aaliyah Morgan, Senior, said.

If a rumor is started, it could very well lead to bullying. There are many ways we can prevent it before it gets serious.

“By promoting a classroom community when the students are young, having more communication than competition, and making everyone equal, I think we can lessen the bullying in schools,” a Government/Economics teacher, said.

When a student is bullied in school, there are many potential risks.

“The victims could start bullying others as a way of acting out, causing a cycle of bullying,” a Senior said.

Even though it doesn’t excuse the behavior, usually the antagonist has specific reasons for their actions.

“The person harassing the victim might have a low self esteem, problems at home, or maybe they’re just a cold person judging off of looks,” a senior said.

Bullying and gossip both tie into the cruelty we see in school. Sometimes, we don’t even notice when it’s happening. But, if the walls could talk, they’d sure have a lot to say.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Anchor

Your donation will support the student journalists of Rockport-Fulton High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.