The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

Get Out

Directed by Jordan Peele and Produced by Jason Blum (Blumhouse Productions)
Get Out

Chris and his girlfriend, Rose have reached the meet-the-parents stage of dating. Rose invites him for a weekend getaway upstate with her parents, Missy and Dean. At first, Chris reads the family’s overly accommodating behavior as nervous attempts to deal with their daughter’s interracial relationship, but as the weekend progresses, a series of increasingly disturbing discoveries leads him to a truth that he never could have imagined. Here are my thoughts on Get Out.

This is a breakout film for comedian turned film marker, Jordan Peele, 2017’s “Get Out” is a brilliantly written and directed thriller that delivers a much needed social commentary on race relations in America while depicting the deep rooted fears Black people endure amongst a White society. The film takes creative liberties by over exaggerating the fear our main protagonist feels by putting him in an extraordinary scenario, with Daniel Kaluuya shining bright in his breakout role as Chris Washington, but through that lens the film addresses themes of racism, personal demons, suburban paranoia, and the dark aspects of elitist rich Americans. The Armitage family presents one if the scariest horror movie antagonists of the century with Allison William, Caleb Landry Jones, Catherine Keener, and Bradley Whitford all delivering stellar preformances that are just your average family with weird tendencies but unsettling enough to know that darkness lies beneath the surface, and Lil Rey Howery gives us the perfect comedy relief as (TS mf A) he voices everything the audience feels and thinks of the situation that we can’t directly communicate to the main character. The cherry on top is an Oscar-winning script with so much detail and nuance that multiple viewings highlight how meticulous the screenplay is. I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to be at the edge of their seat. One thing about Jordan Peele films is his movie will make you think and will always have an underlining theme or analogy.