The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

Israel-Hamas

What’s going on in Israel right now and how does it affect us?
Israel-Hamas

On October 7th, the Palestinian terrorist organization Hamas attacked Israel, breaking through the heavily fortified border and sending an estimated 2,200 rockets into southern and central Israel, killing more than 1,400 people and taking 199 hostages. Israel responded by sending airstrikes into the Gaza strip and declaring war.

The conflict concerning both Israel and Palestine has been going on for some time now, having started way back in 1947. The recent attacks, however, have proven to be of unprecedented severity. Hamas stormed Israel in response to Israeli policy and the country’s mistreatment of Palestinian citizens. Members of Hamas have admitted to doing brutal things during their attack on Israel, saying that the terrorists “became animals”, beheading people and raping young women. Many sources have claimed that these attacks have been the biggest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust.

Al Ahli Baptist Hospital was also bombed on October 17th, in which both sides blamed the other for the cause. The tragedy in Gaza killed an estimated 300 people. Israel claimed that Palestine had misfired a rocket, but Hamas insisted that Israel was the one to blame. Neither have confirmed being the cause of the strike.

Mahmoud Abbas, president of Palestinian Authority, has made it very clear that the terrorist group Hamas does not represent their state. The Palestinian News Agency WAFA added that, “the president affirmed his rejection of the killing of civilians on both sides and called for the release of civilians, prisoners and detainees on both sides.” Israel has cut off both water and power in Gaza, but have since sent out broadcasts urging citizens in Gaza to evacuate south.

President Biden has sided with Israel, visiting the country and expressing his support. The war has led to many protests in America, in big cities and college campuses. In fact, all police in New York were called to step up security measures in response to pro-Palestinian demonstrators taking the streets after ex Hamas chief Khalid Meshaal called for global protests on Friday the 13th, in what was named a “global day of rage”. It has raised many conflicts regarding the outspoken concern of the slaughter of Palestinian and Israeli people being mistaken as antisemitism. A protester on campus at Rutgers University was interviewed, “They report us as antisemitic. However, what we are really, truly doing is speaking about the atrocities and crimes against humanity in Palestine.”

Sources: PBS and ABC News