The Anchor

The Student News Site of Rockport-Fulton High School

The Anchor

The Anchor

Get Out
Get Out
February 15, 2024

A Hand Up For All

Veteran Wayne Grant is the co-owner of Bishop Community Services, opened during 2021 in Bishop, Texas. Grant and his late wife, Cindy, started it after their son’s passing.

“She (Cindy) was always giving back,” said Wayne. “We started the non-profit in September 2021, when my son drowned in a boating accident. The life insurance came in and we decided to put it into the non-profit. Later on, my wife passed away and I knew I had to continue her legacy.”

The small care closet has helped countless families in need with the things they offer. Their services include donated clothes, utensils, supplies, and shoes. They also provide free TV dinners, a washer and dryer, a shower/bathroom area, a cooling center and bible studies once a week. Everything is funded through grants and help from the community.

Soon, Grant wants to remodel the kitchen area into a soup kitchen to help even more. He also plans on starting a children’s movie night once a week to make it feel more like a home. The store is open Mon-Fri from 10:30 a.m-5:30 p.m. The cooling center stays open seven days a week from 11:00 a.m-6:00 p.m. They are located at 301 W Main St. in Bishop, Texas.

Wayne takes much pride in the way the non-profit has helped others.”When we serve our country, it doesn’t stop there because we’ve taken an oath to take care of our citizens as well,” he said. “Service to the citizens in Bishop is the right thing for me to do.”

Photo and information source: KRIS 6 NEWS